View Single Post
Old April 24, 2015, 12:24 PM   #52
Bongo Boy

Very nice, and I love the name--so 50's to me. Folks down at the range..they be thinkin you're settin up to shoot a Ruger .22 or something, then you touch off a round or two from your 44 Magmatic and sets 'em straight. That's definitely not one I've ever see nor heard of...glad you posted the link.

I don't see any real clear sign it's gas-operated--is the gas routed through that little mini underlug we see at the rear of the barrel? Clearly there's nothing forward of that. I'd think the first design change required would be to get that gas port about as far forward on the barrel as possible (to reduce serious flame erosion at the port, etc).

Your speculative story sounds completely plausible...the prototype Magnamatic demonstrating that gas operated and rotary locking was a workable solution to a positive lock AND a rigid barrel-to-frame interface. Both attractive features to put together, I'd imagine, when moving up to a large-mass barrel and a high pressure round.

Last edited by Bongo Boy; April 24, 2015 at 12:41 PM.

Page generated in 0.04664 seconds with 8 queries