Thread: Mindset
View Single Post
Old August 19, 2013, 10:26 AM   #131
pax

This came from a lecture that I gave last weekend.

"'If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat.' That is my tagline. A lot of people seem to think that this means something like, 'if you have to fight, fight really, really hard.' That is not what it means at all!

"Here is the heart of the matter. To fight like a cornered cat is to fight with a specific goal in mind. A domestic cat is not interested in fighting with whatever has frightened her. She is not "punishing" her attacker. She is simply getting to safety. As soon as she escapes, she stops fighting. She does not deal in revenge. She avoids trouble whenever she can. If there is trouble brewing somewhere, she disappears. She does not stick around to see what is about to happen. If she is attacked, she simply leaves – efficiently.

"A domestic cat does not live for the fight, either. She does keep her claws sharp, and she does know how to protect herself, but sharpening her claws is not all there is to her life. She is far more interested in living a safe, comfortable life than she is in any of that warrior stuff. She will avoid danger when she can.

"If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat. Fight with the specific goal of getting to safety. Stop instantly when you know you have reached your goal. Don't deal in revenge. Don't stick around to see what is about to happen if you think trouble is coming. If you are attacked – leave!"

This is a very far cry from telling people to "go animal." It is simply a word picture that I use to illustrate the mindset of someone who avoids trouble, seeks to get away from danger, and fights only for defense – never for offense.

pax

Page generated in 0.04125 seconds with 8 queries