View Single Post
Old December 14, 2012, 11:13 AM   #61
j3ffr0

Lasers are superior to iron sights in many self defense situations for one reason -- You can aim your gun and keep your eyes focused on the threat at the same time. You cannot do both properly with iron sights. In high stress situations most people focus on the threat, even if they have had some training. In a low light situation, focusing on the threat isn't a bad thing. Does he have a gun or is he just trying to give you something you dropped? You'd better make sure before you shoot, and a laser allows you to keep your eye on the ball (or the threat as the case may be)

However, lasers are a supplement not a replacement. Lasers are much less useful in full daylight when the sun is out. I can see mine, but I'm definitely quicker with iron sights in that situation. When the sun isn't out, the laser is pretty good.

I also believe lasers could have helped those officers in the Empire State building incident. From the video it looks like it was overcast and light was further dimmed in the area by city buildings blocking the sky. I think fewer civilians would have taken hits. Clearly these officers had difficulty using their iron sights inside of 15 feet in high a high stress situation. Maybe they were point shooting, but so then much for the argument that you don't need to and shouldn't aim at self defense distances.

Bottom line -- Lasers can help people aim precisely in high stress, lower light situations.

Page generated in 0.03603 seconds with 8 queries