Thread: "Man bag" carry
View Single Post
Old September 4, 2013, 10:54 PM   #3
pax

I agree about the utility of carrying on body. I have never used a "man bag" (not having the proper personal equipment such), but I have used a purse many times. Carrying off body, such as in a purse or a bag, is indeed slower to access. It is also less certain to access, especially in close quarters.

If you do decide to carry your firearm in your man bag, you should definitely get a bag that is designed for concealed carry – specifically designed for it, not simply adapted to it. This will minimize (but not eliminate) the drawbacks on speed and ease of access.

You should also do some hard thinking about what you are, and are not, willing to do to protect the firearm in your bag. If someone holds a gun to your head and tells you to hand them the bag – will you, or won't you? Getting to your own firearm at that point might not be possible. Are you willing to risk your life to protect the firearm you carry to protect your life? Or would you be willing to comply with the demands in such a circumstance? (Please note that I am not talking about a tactical decision. I am talking about a pragmatic and moral decision. This is the type of thinking that needs to underpin the choices we make about concealed carry. The specific tactics that we use follow naturally from the moral choices that we make in advance. Failing to sort out those moral choices in advance leads to freezes and other bad outcomes.)

pax

Page generated in 0.02711 seconds with 8 queries