View Single Post
Old February 3, 2013, 04:40 PM   #9
Slamfire

Quote:
Most news producers wake up ever morning and think "How can I get the most viewers and, hence, the most advertising dollars while keeping my bosses happy?" It's a more passive decision to include things they think will get them more money, not an active decision to avoid a topic (though I'm sure some do, I can't believe that every TV producer in the US shares the same views)

Usually that means talking about the bloodiest horror they can find. Someone having their life saved is not going to get the same viewership numbers.

There's also more story with a crime. There's the investigation, possible suspects, arrests, why they did it, where they were eventually found, the trial, the conviction. Of course, there's also the victim's story and lots of shots of their family and friends crying. It's high drama.
I agree with the sensationalism of news. It is also very racist and sexist. I saw so many long episodes on cable news about dead young pretty women that I started calling the phenomena “Dead Blondes, Brunettes and Co-Ed’s”. It was apparent that attractive dead women boost the ratings. So do stories of attractive young women who kill their kids. These women get days/weeks/months of news coverage. Most particularly white women. Do your own Google News searches and there are plenty accounts of minority women, older women, committing the crimes or being murdered equally foul, and no video coverage.

“Journalists” and “News Producers” are ghouls that feed on the dead.

Page generated in 0.02783 seconds with 8 queries