Thread: Buck Fever
View Single Post
Old December 4, 2000, 06:23 PM   #5
stephen_g22

I lost a buck when I was in high school. The rancher found the carcass a few months later about 200-300 yards from where I shot it. I have the antlers as a reminder to be a better tracker. It is a large rack (13 pts), and I am ashamed of it because I shot that magnificint animal and it went to waste.

On Friday, when this buck jumped at the shot, I hoped it was because I hit it. When I found no evidence of a hit, I prayed it was a clean miss because I am still bothered by the one I lost years ago.

I hadn't shot a deer since 1989, so the shakes got me bad. When I saw the group of doe later that evening, I got shaky again but had more time to take a deep breath and calm down before the taking my shot. When the doe dropped immediately, I was relieved. My confidence in myself and my .243 were restored, even though I still feel foolish for getting the yips over a set of antlers eariler in the morning.

I am proud of the doe I got, but will remember the one that got away.

On the way back from the trip we picked up the deer my buddy got in early November. The jalepeno deer sausage is incredible.

Page generated in 0.02387 seconds with 8 queries