View Single Post
Old January 12, 2018, 01:38 PM   #3
ligonierbill

See the attached photo of the barrel with a cartridge inserted. I didn't clean this face; the 'C' ring contact area is shiny. So the Brazilian arsenal got it right in '35 at least. When I get the new barrel (.308 short-chambered from Brownell's - backordered) I will verify contact with the 'C' ring before I tighten it completely.

I know there are some odd threads out there. I took the barrel off a Turk that had a short shank and something close to 10 1/2 tpi. This one appears to be standard, but as you say, I'll smile when I see it really fits.

If all goes well to that point, I'll rent a finish reamer and go/no-go gauges and finish the chamber just to the point I can close the bolt on the 'go'. Brownell's says they're short by just 0.01", and my previous experience indicates there is very little cutting to do.

While I'm working this one, I will see how my "new" Pole shoots. If it's a good one, I'm done for awhile. If not, I'll send her to Shaw and let the pros install a new 8x57 barrel. The fun never ends.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8x57 Brazilian.jpg (67.2 KB, 24 views)

Page generated in 0.02092 seconds with 9 queries