View Single Post
Old December 25, 2019, 01:11 PM   #5
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarGrove357 View Post
The old stock sheared off along the grain through the wrist up into the rear tang. Compliments of gravity and a high tree.

What happened to me was a chunk of wood let loose deeper than I had intended. I figured the only load bearing parts were the rear tang and front lug, but I was unsure if anything transferred through the bolt handle itself. My thought is it doesn't.
The gun's recoil force should transfer to the stock on the front lug bearing surface only, and nowhere else. The force will then travel through whatever little wood left on both sides of the action, eventually to the wrist, then the butt of the stock, and on to the shooter's shoulder. That unfortunately makes the bolt handle recess wrong area to lose any fiber of wood unnecessarily. The rear tang should NOT contact any wood behind it, so that it doesn't help transfer recoil force at all, or the wrist will start to crack with use.

I would try to fill the lost wood with bedding compound during glass bedding. To give the load bearing area additional strength, I would put a ribbed metal pin with epoxy glue through the wood right behind the front lug. It is common feature in factory stocks, such as Remington 700.

The bedding material you plan to use is good. But I like the steel putty from Devcon better.

Good luck and Merry Christmas!

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Page generated in 0.03524 seconds with 8 queries