Thread: C&R Sites
View Single Post
Old March 12, 2019, 07:10 AM   #6
Doc Hoy

My two cents

Definition of the word "Curmudgeon."

: a crusty, ill-tempered, and usually old man

Synonyms:

bellyacher, complainer, crab, crank, fusser, griper, grouch, grumbler, grump, murmurer, mutterer, sourpuss, whiner

So now that is out of the way....

I am with Eastbank.

With the rise in popularity of online mail order sites, a technique has developed. It has two facets:

1. Too many mind games. You can't find out how much you are paying for shipment/delivery until after you have gone through the trouble of processing your "shopping cart". You are therefore subconsciously enticed to complete the transaction so as not to lose the effort in filling your "cart".

Even the word "cart" is carefully chosen. The shopping cart was developed in 1937 with the advent of the self serve grocery store. Before this time it was customary for buyers to hand a list to a clerk who retrieved the groceries and put them in a bag for the person who simply waited for the service. Since then we have accepted a mental image of the cart as a device which is used when you are buying more than one or two items. So when you process your online cart, with only one item in it, it looks pretty empty. "Maybe I should also get a holster, a coupla magazines, a cleaning kit." Remember when the digital list of things you were buying online was known as an "order"?

Some of these online vendors will select the best of ten for an extra fee.

Shouldn't they do that anyway?

Does it take a person making 10.00 per hour, two hours to "select the best"?

How do you know they actually selected the best and didn't just package the next one in line because the condition of the specimens in the entire lot is essentially identical? B--L S--t!

2. Online vendors look at shipping and handling as one of the profit spheres.

I can't say that I have been unhappy with my online purchases, but I must admit, they have been mostly for parts and not for complete firearms.

Go to a gun show and you can handle the item. Ask questions. Vendors don't generally charge you for shipping when you are carrying it out the door.

Last edited by Doc Hoy; March 12, 2019 at 07:21 AM.

Page generated in 0.03051 seconds with 8 queries