View Single Post
Old October 11, 2002, 09:59 AM   #1
Poodleshooter

Odd case resizing problem w/ 7mmRM

I've got several primed 7mm brass that I could have sworn that I sized.... Anyway, I'm using a redding die set with a removable decapping stem/expander. Can I remove the stem and re-resize the cases? I tried this with an extra 7mm case last night. It sized fine, and chambers fine in my Abolt. I tried it with one of the primed batch of 30rds, and it will not chamber, even though the die is set to the normal setting that usually allows chambering in my rifle! I've checked the outside width of the neck and the OAL after trimming-both are fine. I kept turning the die in, expecting that the shoulder still wasn't set back far enough (forgetting the whole belt issue). I had the die turned in quite a bit, and it still wouldn't chamber! Eventually I checked the test case, and discovered that the die had actually cut into the case wall, raising a tiny ridge of shaved brass 1/16" above the common "stretch" area of a belted magnum case, right above the belt.
This is very odd, as I've always been able to use the same die setting for resizing purposes...
Any ideas? I'm about to junk this brass, as it does have a suspicious feeling of excessive stretch over the belt, though I can't find anything with an internal check (the bent paper clip).
Should I junk the brass?
Should I resize them without the decapper or with the rod screwed back out so that it doesn't touch the primer?
thanks,
Poodle

Page generated in 0.03159 seconds with 8 queries