View Single Post
Old December 29, 2005, 09:41 PM   #1
leopard1

Range Report: S&W 351PD .22 Magnum Airlite

Purchased NIB S&W 351 PD Airlite .22 Magnum revolver. Before we get sidetracked on the caliber issue, my main carry guns are an S&W steel Bodyguard and a Ruger SP 101, both stoked with .38+P 158-gr LSWHPs.

The S&W .22 Magnum is a backup gun. My job involves disaster response operations, and on more than one occasion, dogs have been a problem. A .22WMR revolver can be useful in those situations. If you are interested in the new S&W 351 PD Airlite revolver, please read on.

Shoots 40-grain .22 Magnum ammunition to point of aim in rapid DA fire. Very easy to put all 7 in the 10-ring at 7 yards, which is about the distance you would use a revolver of this type. Fired CCI, Winchester, Remington and Federal ammunition. No malfunctions or failures to fire.

Hi-viz front sight in rear U-notch is very easy to see (especially important for those of us over 40).

Very easy to carry fully concealed in a hip pocket with an Uncle Mike's #3 pocket holster. Sticks out a little from the front pocket of BDUs.

After reading posts on other web sites about this revolver, I had some concerns. However, I experienced none of the potential problems mentioned on other web sites during my range session.

Bullets did not keyhole; they were stabilized by the short barrel (have had 3 Taurus 2-inch .22 Magnum revolvers that did not stabilize the round, so key-holing is a potential problem with .22 WMR ammuniton from short barrels).

The side lock did not cause the revolver to malfunction.

The 2-piece barrel did not seem to adversely affect practical accuracy.

The revolver is not a "flamethrower"; fire does not spit 3 feet out the end of the barrel and light up the neighborhood.

The DA trigger was heavy, but it should be for reliable ignition of rimfire ammunition.

Although it is an Airlite, recoil is negligible.

I was able to fire follow-up shots faster with the S&W 351 PD than with my NAA .22 Magnum Black Widow; it is lighter and easier to carry than my S&W 651 and Taurus 941 .22 Magnum revolvers; it is far more accurate than my vintage Hi Standard .22 Magnum DA derringer; the sights are much easier to see than those on my SP 101, J-frames and K-frames; and it is fairly inexpensive to practice with when compared to the cost of premium .357 ammunition.

If, for for reasons that are valid to you, you are interested in a good DA .22 Magnum J-frame snub, you may want to check out the S&W 351 PD.

Mine is fine.

Page generated in 0.03357 seconds with 8 queries