View Single Post
Old October 20, 2011, 10:03 AM   #20
F. Guffey

davery25

Posts: 25 how do you move the shoulder back with the die? is it just screwing the die in past the manufacturers recommendations?

Also how do you actually measure how far you've moved the neck back without a no-go gauge?

Skill, combined with technique AND methods, that is what I do, I use the companion tool to the press, the feeler gage, to reduce the length of the case from the head of the case to it’s shoulder I raise the case off the shell holder deck, not much use for a reloader to know but when forming cases for short chamber it is the feeler gage or mindlessly grinding of the shell holder and or both.

To increase the length of the case from the head of the case it’s shoulder I increase the gap between the top of the shell holder and bottom of the die, no wild guestimates of a fractional of a turn or converting degrees to thousands, after making the proverbial wild guess the guesser could use a feeler gage to verify the wild guess, but it they got into the habit of verifying, why wouldn't the go straight to verify to make the adjustment?

As to measuring, I make tools our of any and everything, I make tools for measuring the length of a case off the shoulder and or bullet, things that are tapered, round and create a cone does not hang me up, those that get
hung up on such matters refer talk in lofty terms like ‘datum line’, to me the datum is not a line, it is a round hole/circle, if I do not have ‘SAMMIES’ specs I make them up, after all, it is my chamber, my die, my case.

“Without a no-go gage?” If a reloader knew the length of the chamber before starting to reload for their chamber the reloader does not need a go, no or beyond gage, if the reloader was familiar with the use of gages the reloader could make gages, or convert some gages to a gage that would serve as a go, no and beyond gage, If a reloader had a field reject gage the reloader could use the field gage to measure the length of the chamber from the shoulder back to the face of the bolt in thousands.

I determine the length of the chamber first, then form, others chamber, fire to form then get hung up on explaining why everyone is wrong and they are correct. Has something to do with “a case is not fully grown until it has been fired 5 times, for me a case that has been fired 5 time is a five time fired case and full length sizing to start over is not an option

http://wordinfo.info/unit/1/ip:3/il:B

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.02024 seconds with 8 queries