View Single Post
Old March 16, 2014, 10:12 AM   #10
Doug S

Over the last several years I got back into deer hunting after a period of 16 years during which which time I had sold off all of my deer guns. Anyway, I didn't want to invest a lot of money so I considered the usual selection of "economy" deer rifles that seem to be suggested in every one of these threads. I first picked up an older Savage 110 that I found used at the local hardware store. To be honest, it was an okay rifle, but I just didn't like it. Was about to get one of the Ruger Americans when someone mentioned that you could still find the Remington 700 ADL at Walmart for around $400. Having used a Remington 700 for years, I looked around and found a local Walmart that had one in 243 and so that was my choice. It's a nice gun, and I'd recommend it as a best buy if you can find one around the $400 mark (comes with a 3x9 Bushnell scope). The price was actually $417, and for what the Ruger Americans are going for locally, the Ruger would have cost me as much or even more by the time I added even the cheap Bushnell scope. So I thought the tried and true 700 was the better deal. These also come with the new Remington trigger so no worries of the accidental discharges that you may read about on the forums.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle

Page generated in 0.03368 seconds with 8 queries