View Single Post
Old January 19, 2014, 04:20 PM   #35
5whiskey

Quote:
The cues that make me leery go deeper than simple appearance. Suspicion of chemical intoxication, suspicion of mental illness, or suggestions of vigilante behavior are certainly a reason to put the kabosh on a sale. But droopy pants? I know a few good folks who happen to dress that way, and they appreciate not being judged by arbitrary criteria.
I agree with the above. Saggy pants, while it may have begun in the criminal sub-culture, is now more of a pop-culture phenomena. Heck, it's often combined with skinny jeans these days. I certainly don't look everyone dressed like this as if they're criminals. I shake my head and wonder how on earth we have reached this as the nexus of style... but that's another topic.

Quote:
As far as private sale, I would not sell to someone I felt was "shady" but as others have said I would not base that simply on their appearance.
I would rarely take solely appearance and deny for that reason alone (there was one example of the gang dress coupled with the gang tattoo... don't even have to talk to that guy to feel him out). HiBC kinda summed it up with this...

Quote:
Black duster....?Hmmm.Brings Columbine to mind.Just my problem?Well,a young man who wears a black duster to a gun show ,IMO,is excersizing poor judgement.
How many people here are going to go out OCing while wearing a "shoot first and let God sort 'em out" t-shirt? Probably no one, and most would probably shake our head a little if we see someone else do it. That's a particularly bad judgement call, shows lack of tact, and doesn't further our RKBA. I wouldn't necessarily think the guy is a horrible person... just a little insensitive and not the centerpiece that I want on display for 2A issues. An 18 year old (or younger, for all I know) kid dressed like he came out of the chess club meeting while wearing a black trench coat just screams columbine, sandy hook, and a number of other crazies. Surely he should know that wearing this to a gun show is not the greatest of ideas. He may not be a bad person. Hey, for all we know he may have a friend close by that's catching his conversations on video. Maybe he's on some kind of fishing expedition for an anti-2A documentary and he wants to see if anyone will sell him anything dressed as such ala Michael Moore "bowling for columbine" style. OR... maybe this is a case of "fitting the profile" (no one here will disagree that this happens) and he is looking to flip out one day. Either way, I would be very wary of selling a firearm to him.

Page generated in 0.03201 seconds with 8 queries