View Single Post
Old November 22, 2011, 09:04 AM   #2
Andy Griffith

Get ready to spend some money.

A good Hamilton, Am. Waltham, Elgin or Illinois lever set railroad watch will cost you. Most of them seen at gun shows, etc., have been treated badly- broken staffs, cracked faces, rusty internals, never serviced, etc. If you don't know what you are looking for, I'd recommend buying from a reputable watch shop specializing in pocketwatches, and they are very, very hard to find!

Try pocketwatchsite.com, as they have a lot of good reviews and I've ordered some stuff from them.

Also, a good, full cleaning and service will start at $200 and up- I paid $300 earlier this year for a full service on a 1918 Elgin that I carry daily.

Do you want a watch of the period? If you are looking for a quality 1880's "biscuit" watch, they are a bit cheaper, but they don't keep as good time as their newer brethren. A cowboy would be better served with a "hunting" case, as it protects the face and crystal of the watch during work, and would be likely more authentic to what he would carry than an open face. That's my two cents- I'm not a collector of them or anything- I just like pocketwatches.

Page generated in 0.02319 seconds with 8 queries