View Single Post
Old December 9, 1998, 12:18 AM   #8
bruels

I was a firearms instructor for our department for five years. There was a marked reluctance to employ the shotgun in situations where it was definitely warranted. Part of this reluctance stems from the beginning in the police academy where the training emphasis is on the pistol and the shotgun is treated as a specialty weapon but nothing in the syllabus mentions what specialty the shotgun is for.

I watched a captain go insane with rage when he discovered a shotgun in a patrol car loaded with a mix of buckshot and slugs. He couldn't articulate why it was a bad idea, he just said it was against policy. Not so. Just his interpretation of the policy.

I tried to explain to deputies at the range the concept of changing to slugs at certain ranges depending on how the gun would pattern to have the deputies question whether slugs were permitted at all. Other deputies just hated slugs because they "kicked" more even though the throw weight was about the same.

When I suggested we shorten the length of pull to accommodate small shooters and shooters wearing ballistic vests, all I got was a blank stare from management who left the streets long before wearing vests became commonplace for patrol deputies.

The shotgun is greatly misunderstood by many in police management and by patrol staff themselves. As such, many agencies have drifted to toying with carbines firing pistol calibers. The pistol caliber carbine has its uses for people who are afraid of the shotgun, but its uses are limited. I have always felt if the pistol can't handle it, I want something big.

I like the shotgun. I attended Gunsite's three day satellite course for instructors given by Bill Jeans when he was still with Gunsite and learned a great deal. He still teaches on his own and does a great job. Jeans has an appreciation for the shotgun such that he hopes the pansies in the state legislatures never realize what a devasting weapon it is for CQB. If they ever figure it out, watch out for laws prohibiting "fighting" shotguns.

If anyone wants Bill Jeans address to attend one of his schools, back-channel me and I will give it to you.

------------------
Bruce Stanton

Page generated in 0.03239 seconds with 8 queries