Thread: Sandhills...
View Single Post
Old August 26, 2009, 03:54 PM   #7
Evan Thomas

According to the USGS, it's legal to hunt them in some states and provinces, not in others:

Legal and Cultural Protection

In Canada and the United States, the hunting of Sandhill Cranes is regulated under the Migratory Bird Treaty of 1916. Hunting was prohibited until increased interest in Sandhill Cranes as game animals led to the opening of hunting seasons in Canada in 1959 and in the United States in 1961 (Central Migratory Shore and Upland Game Bird Technical Committee 1993). The species has been legally hunted in Mexico since at least 1940. In the U.S., Sandhill Cranes are now legally hunted in Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Kansas, Montana, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming. In Canada, Sandhill Cranes are hunted in Saskatchewan and Manitoba. In Mexico, hunting is permitted in nine northern and central states (Tacha et al. 1994).

Both the Cuban and Mississippi Sandhill Crane are protected under the U.S. Endangered Species Act. The Florida Sandhill Crane is listed as a threatened species by the Florida Game and Freshwater Fish Commission. In Mississippi the Mississippi Sandhill Crane is listed as endangered and is protected under the state’s Nongame and Endangered Species Act of 1974 (USFWS 1991). The Cuban Sandhill Crane is listed as Endangered in Cuba.

So, no huntee cranee in Florida...

The three protected subspecies are all non-migratory.

I don't think I'd hunt them, m'self.

They're spectacular birds... They nest at a refuge not far from me, and it's worth the trip to watch them fly in, hear them calling... We came around a bend once, and one was crossing the road about 100 feet away. Wow.

Page generated in 0.02406 seconds with 8 queries