View Single Post
Old August 4, 2012, 01:24 AM   #17
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
If you used a FCD with soft plated bullets you could have actually lessened the amount of neck tension by swagging the bullet down.
Do you recommend foregoing the FCD and opting for the taper crimp in the bullet seater die?

Quote:
Are you still using that powder that reaches 1400fps with the start
load?

If so, you need a different powder. Get velocity down to 1100 fps or so, and you won't even need a crimp. Those bullets you have were not designed for high velocity.

So, again, change powder, or change to a bullet designed for what you are trying to accomplish.
Yes, I am.
Unfortunately, I don't have $80-90 to buy another half a kilo of another pack of powder. Nor do I have the €100 needed to replace my chosen bullets with something from the only other supplier: Midway Germany, who charge (excuse the pun) an arm and a leg.
Hopefully in a month or two, I'll have some more options. In the meantime, I'll still shoot what I have for now. Better than nothing.

Out of curiosity, where did you get these velocity data? I have not seen any max velocities on the bullet supplier's page, for individual bullet types.

In fact, I have found a reference to using the slowest burning powder possible to reduce to starting velocity, despite the muzzle velocity being higher. In other words, the bullet maker recommend N100 (1600fps) over faster burning N320 (1200fps), because of the starting velocity as the bullet starts to bite the rifling.

In my other crimp post, you recommended staying away from slower burning, whilst the manufacturer promotes them.
Have I misunderstood what they mean or what you wrote?

So now I'm a bit confused.

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; August 4, 2012 at 01:36 AM.

Page generated in 0.02442 seconds with 8 queries