Thread: Cougar
View Single Post
Old February 4, 2002, 02:22 AM   #7
H&H,hunter

Winston, I don't know where you are or how you plan to hunt Lion. I under stand your stalking one? Good luck, If I were you I'd use a combination stalk and varmint call. I've been guiding Lion hunters for a while and have only ever seen one with out dogs on several fleeting occasions.
Here is what you do though if your going to stalk one. A. find fresh tracks in the snow follow them as far as you can and get to a good point then sit down and call when calling cats you need to stay put and call for at least 1 hour per stand. The other thing to do is find a recent kill and call from a good vantage point. Chances are if the kill is fresh the lion will be near. The way to find a lion kill is to look for birds (scavangers, eagles, magpies,ETC) along a rock ledge that has brush at the base of it. That's where lions like to hunt. Also you can get on a high spot and look for birds in the trees.
As far as weapons, while Art is correct about the average lion let me tell you about some of the big toms out there. I killed a 174lb tom that measured 7'10", 3 years ago. 2 years ago I had a client kill a 168lb tom that went right at 8', and last year one of my clients killed a 178 lb tom that went 7'11''. These were all taken in the pecos wilderness of NM. So yeah bud leave the .223 at home. The .308 would be the best choice. And a cat will go a long way with a heart shot so try and break his shoulders on the first shot. And make sure and save the meat it is real good.

Page generated in 0.03376 seconds with 8 queries