View Single Post
Old October 28, 2012, 02:30 PM   #1
doofus47

reloading/preloading commercial ammo

Sorry if this is a common question. I have absolutely no idea how to do a search for key words related to this particular topic.

I have an Arisaka 99. I like it. However, I"m making a switch to solid copper bullets for hunting. Short summary: I bit into a piece of gliding metal from a bullet jacket while eating some deer stew and I would prefer it not happen to my kids.

Problem 1: there is no commercial 7.7x58 ammo that I can find that uses solid copper bullets.
Problem 2: I don't have loads of free time to start reloading.
Solution A: I buy an off the shelf brand of 7.7x58 ammo that I like and then I replace the original bullet with a same grain/same diameter copper bullet.

I've thought of one possible issue: The length of the bullet will probably be different and this might affect the depth of bullet seating which might affect the pressure generated by the new, "preloaded" cartridge. But I expect that the commercial ammo is probably downloaded a bit from max pressure, so if the OAL is the same at the end of the process as it was at the start, any increases in pressure should be accommodated. It's not a "last ditch" rifle, so I'm not worried about the metallurgy.

Thoughts?

Page generated in 0.03191 seconds with 8 queries