View Single Post
Old May 23, 2012, 08:45 AM   #5
Salmoneye

Recoil is less than a fixed barrel design of the same weight with the same loads...The entire barrel recoils in conjunction with the bolt when fired...

Yes...It is a shotgun, so it is suitable for small game and birds...Do not fire steel shot out of that old barrel unless you understand that you may open the choke with it...

As for 'sighting' a model 11 of that vintage, the receiver has a groove on top, and a bead on the barrel...I was certainly not suggesting just walking into the woods with slugs and firing away...They can indeed be very accurate with rifled slugs and the existing 'sights', if one finds where the gun is hitting with certain brands of rifled slugs, and then does their part in practicing from 25-50+ yards with those slugs...I have a Model 11 a few years older than yours, and it works well with rifled slugs to about 50 yards, and flings cheap S&B 00 Buck pretty well to 35 yards...Expensive buffered shot is tight a bit farther...

As for buckshot, my Father dropped two deer in his lifetime with his Browning Auto 5 and 00 Buck...One at 50 yards, and one at 40 yards running...Both dressed out over 130#...

Do I recommend this for others?

Only for those willing to do their part and understand the limits of a smooth bore shotgun...

Page generated in 0.02909 seconds with 8 queries