View Single Post
Old April 22, 2000, 10:01 PM   #7
Gopher a 45

Hey all,

Postscript. I popped the primers on the PMP brass (it's South African stuff I bought for blasting ammo) and it looks as if it does have an extra-thick case head. I guess that's good for case longevity. Tried some reloads of the PMP stuff today and they worked well. I'm actually using a 550B with the .223 three-die set, so I have a separate crimp station (taper crimp?). After loading a couple of dummies with the 52 grainers with and without crimp, I think I don't need a crimp at all on these as the fit is snug even w/o a crimp so bullet movement shouldn't be a problem. Just to see the effect of the crimp I was using on the 55 grainers, I pulled a couple of the 52 grainers I crimped with the old inertia puller.

Bam! Bam! Bam! Bam! Bam! BAM!! Bam! Bam! BAM! BAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAM!!!!

52 grains doesn't have much inertia, but it finally came out. Bullets not bulged, but indented all the way from the where the case mouth contacts to the end of the bullet. Hmmm. The moral is that you don't need to crimp no-canellure bullets! I did fire a couple of the crimped 52 grainers and accuracy was okay, but then again it was only at 100 yds.

Page generated in 0.01941 seconds with 8 queries