Thread: Stopping Power?
View Single Post
Old July 5, 2005, 02:53 PM   #19
bdc

stopping power

You are going to read a lot of bs in gun magazines and on the boards about stopping power.

Let me express some common sense thoughts.

1. If you neglect shot placement, it doesn't matter whether you miss with a cannon ball or a baseball.

2. The loaded firearm that you have on you and the skill to operate it are considerably more important than a choice of one caliber round or round design over another.

Personally, I have seen highly trained people who can clear stoppages on any weapon system turn in real world shooting performances that make a discussion of stopping power irrelevant.

The other day, I watched a video of a bomber being shot and killed by Turkish Police. Being shot a few times with pistol rounds did not immediately terminate the BG's existence. In fact, a couple of policemen motioned for people to stop firing before the threat was neutralized. Then they had to continue shooting.

Conversely, a guy in my unit was killed by friendly fire with a .308 round through the chest at a distance of 4 feet. He was incapacitated by the hydrostatic shock before he hit the ground.

I was trained to draw fire rapidly at 1/4 inch string hanging at 21 feet with strong side retention and without prescription lenses. You have to do it. You will have to pay for that kind of instruction. The round caliber or design isn't going to do it for you.

Page generated in 0.02738 seconds with 8 queries