View Single Post
Old April 30, 2019, 11:36 AM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I know they are bad... but have to start somewhere.
They aren't bad. Not at all. I think, right now, with your stated level of experience, you're expecting a little too much. Seems like every rifle (and shooter) on the Internet is a sub-moa, one hole group match winner, right out of the box, and right out of the gate, so to speak. That's not my experience in the real world.

I'm going to make some suggestions I think will help, take them for what you feel they're worth...

First, DO IT AGAIN. Same loads, distance, etc. One 5 shot group with a given load only tells you what that load did, in your hands, that day. It may show you the potential, but it doesn't show you what the load might be capable of, on average.

Then. do it again, a third time, same everything, and see what you get.

Next, SLOW DOWN.

If you want to shoot the smallest groups possible, the key is uniformity. IN everything, the ammo, the gun, YOU, all together.

Take your time. Its not a race. Treat each shot as if its the only shot and it has to be "perfect". Wait for the wind to be the same each time. Space the shots so the barrel stays cool. Don't rush the shot, no matter what. Smooth, steady, the same each time.

Your rifle may be capable of one hole groups, your ammo may be capable of one hole groups, but if you aren't capable of holding and shooting a one hole group, you'll never know for sure. The simplest thing to work on, is your skill/technique. But its not always the simplest thing to recognize where you need the improvement.

Don't tinker with the rifle, don't tinker with the ammo (yet), do some more careful shooting, and see if your results are consistent.

ONLY CHANGE ONE THING AT A TIME!

If you get a load that shoots tiny groups, great. Do it again! and again. and again. Do it tomorrow, do it next week. See if it was just you having a really good day, or if it's actually the load combination shooting consistently well. Once you get to the point of being confident that you can consistently get a certain result, THEN, you can look to using the tips, tricks, and tweaks of loading to see if you can improve your "standard" results significantly.

Sometimes, you can, sometimes, you can't. Some guy saying "do this, and that. and they'll all go into one hole, only means those things worked for him, not that they WILL do the same for you. Only that they MIGHT.

Shoot some more, see if your worst or your best groups were a fluke, or if they always shoot that way. Don't worry about moving on, until you know that as a baseline.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Page generated in 0.02434 seconds with 8 queries