View Single Post
Old June 9, 1999, 05:10 PM   #9
Long Path

Sounds like an excellent choice to me, Erick! Either one should do the job. I'm quite partial to the 165 gr. controlled-expansion-bullets for the .308-- they seem the best of both worlds. For up close and personal, though, those A-Frame 180's give you a Lot of comfort in penetration.

In re: heart/lung... I didn't relize that they were built so differently than a whitetail. Spine shots with .308s do have a way of dropping just about ANYTHING in their tracks. I've even been moving toward a low spine/shoulder shot on whitetail, lately. That ridge of bone that runs under the spine needs only be kissed by the passing bullet to reap tremendous stopping power, and I really hate tracking. On whitetail, the ridge of bone tends to run down to about 6" under the top of the withers in a mature animal, giving a good margin of error (high is spine, low is still shoulder, left and right are just as good.), which, though slightly smaller than the traditional lung shot target, brings much more decisive stops. Even a shot too low is bound to stop them, as you've just broken the shoulder.

Perhaps the news with piggies is: aim a bit forward of your prior aiming point.

Which is darned useful to know.

------------------
If you're *not* a member of the NRA, what *are* you doing to protect your rights to enjoy yourself on this Bulletin Board?
Do SOMETHING!

Page generated in 0.02208 seconds with 8 queries