View Single Post
Old October 12, 2017, 09:20 AM   #24
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfScubaDiver View Post
Seriously, the idea of value never entered my mind. Really what I was thinking about is what this BT is gonna look like after 5, 10, and maybe longer years of being carried, if just one year has produced the wear it has. I thought these aftermarket products could prevent that from happening, but since it doesn't really do that I will save my money for something else, like another cheap 380 maybe. LOL

Again, guns will wear with use... if you train with the gun, it will wear.

Something like NP3 or CPII, it will look like stainless... in regards to wear. The finish will not wear off with regular use. It will polish to an extent. It is a tougher finish than a lot of stock finishes, so holster wear will also be reduced (again, there will still be some... but not like taking a spray-on finish off after a few months).

If you look on GunBroker or other auction sites, try to find PA State Police Berettas, which were sold widely surplus, and have NP3 finish. That will give you some idea on how holster wear occurred with those finishes. Most I’ve seen are pretty good looking for police trade ins.

If you want a finish to look immaculate from your getting it back to 10 years from then... not going to happen if you shoot/carry the gun. If you don’t like the battle-worn finish, NP3 and similar platings are pretty good. Not going to say you won’t see wear, being it isn’t the case... but it will not be the type of wear you have issue with. Also, I’ll agree it isn’t an investment... unless you consider it for yourself. I traded my CPII plated .45 PX4 and a bunch of magazines, and it was the same as any other used PX4.

I’ll admit, I do like my guns looking good in the long haul. But my choices in finish really were decided on due to rust problems with certain guns or guns that I wanted added lubrication. Them holding up well over the years was an added benefit. While I have a few guns that are sentimental or collectible (take a little extra care for), most of them are just tools. My wrenches are rust free, but don’t look like they were just purchased.

Page generated in 0.02662 seconds with 8 queries