View Single Post
Old July 29, 2012, 06:04 PM   #20
F. Guffey

“So the bottom of the die is somewhere being flush against the shell holder and some distance away from the shell holder?”

Determining the length of the chamber first then transferring the measurement to press, die and shell holder is for a very few.

For most it is impossible to determine the relationship between the chamber from the bolt face to the shoulder of the chamber (datum) and the chamber created when the die is adjusted to the shell holder from the shell holder deck to the shoulder of the die (datum). Most do not understand the concept of minimum length/full length size and a chamber that is go-gage length.

I am the fan of transfers, standards and verifying.

“There ought to be a term for that space:
Die space
Die to holder gap
shoulder bump back off
Screw a die and feeler gauge”

There is a term used by reloaders on forums, it is referred to as taking a wild guestimate of a turn, tad, smidge, little bit, fractional turn converted to degrees, fractional turns converted to thousandths etc.,

Again, I use a feeler gage, the most humble of tools, no guestimates, the feeler gage is a transfer , it is a standard, after making adjustments the feeler gage is a verifying tool. Redding calls the feeler gage a thickness gage. Redding will have nothing to do with adjusting a die off the shell holder, they make Redding Competition shell holders, using them gives the reloader 5 choices from +.002 to +.010 thousandths. I claim the Redding Competition shell holder is nice but not necessary, I have 10 choices between .000 off the top of the shell holder to .010. Before the Redding Competition shell holder reloaders ground the bottom of the die to increase the ability of the die to reduce the length of the case from the head of the case to its shoulder. Before the Redding Competition shell holder reloaders ground the top of the shell holder to increase the ability of the die to reduce the length of the case from the head of the case to its shoulder, not necessary, all they had to do was raise the deck height of the shell holder with a feeler gage.

I said there are a few that do not insist the die has to contact the shell holder when sizing a case, I do not insist the die must contact the shell holder when sizing, to adjust the die off the shell holder all I need to know is the length of the chamber, again, I form first then fire.

From the beginning I insisted the head space gage?? sold by Larry Willis and Sinclair/Hornady was a comparator, head space, always described in lofty terms, I am concerned with the length of the chamber from the head of the case to its shoulder, I am conserened with the length of the chamber from the face of the bolt to the chamber’s shoulder, and datum is not a line, it is a round/circle hole.

I control the length of the case with the gap between the die and shell holder even when there is no gap, without grinding the die and or shell holder I size/form cases for short chambers, for the 30/06 I form/size cases that are .017 thousandths shorter than a minimum length case, that would be .012 thousandths shorter than a case that a go-gage length chamber from the bolt face to the shoulder of the chamber. .

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.02285 seconds with 8 queries