Thread: Gun safes?
View Single Post
Old December 15, 2002, 01:51 PM   #36

You already got the safe but I couldn't resist making a few comments.
I bought a used Browning safe from a guy down on his luck locally. He helped me move it (I didn't know him and really hated to have a guy I didn't know in my house and knowing the combination to my safe). Right away I realized this was a mistake. First of all, it was everything we could do to move it. And I mean everything we could do to move it. It took us 10 minutes to get over the threshold of his front door. Second, all I could think about was, if this gets away from us, someone is going to get seriously hurt and that isn't worth the safe. I would rather lose my guns than have this safe fall on me. In addition to the saftey factor and the breech of security, I rented a heavy duty dolly and rented a trailer that was the same height as my front porch. So moving it myself was not a good deal from any standpoint.
When I decided to finally buy a safe (I had already had one home invasion twarted by my dog), I looked around and decided on a pretty much top end safe. The biggest one the guy had. But this used deal came along and I figured, it is 1/3 the money, and although it is a big safe it is only half as big as the one I initially was going to buy. Well half my gun collection is now OUT of the safe. Go big or stay home. A 14-28 gun safe would be good for the guns that I can't get in my present safe. In case anyone reading this wonders why they list a range (Like 14-28) gun capacity. If you have a scoped rifle in a slot, the slot opposite is likely not able to be used because the scope takes up that space in the safe.
I live in a $35k "manufactured home" and so far (fingers crossed) the safe hasn't gone through the floor. Nor do I think there is much danger of that. Although my floor might actually be stronger than that in a residential stick built home, I am not sure.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.

Page generated in 0.03483 seconds with 8 queries