View Single Post
Old September 9, 2017, 11:34 AM   #72
JT-AR-MG42

Quote:
My Mini-14 has ---thinned front sight blade
I could never figure why Ruger went with such a heavy (.i.e. wide) front ramp sight on the second model Minis.
The first model bead front was a better choice between the two.

I had a second model also and the blade was way too wide for good target work.
So I shortened the barrel, parkerized it, added a Choate folder and flash hider (neither of which I really cared for after having bought them) and sold it during the term of Bush the first.

Quote:
So... to summarise then, the Mini 14 is like an AK in that it may not be super accurate but it just keeps on running on whatever you put in it.
It is better looking and less intimidating alternative to either AK or AR thanks to fit, finish and furniture. Only magazine availability is a concern in terms of consumables.

Does that sum it all up?
I guess super accurate is a relative term.
How many of these super accurate ARs get used in the Palma Match?

I use 25 grs. of 748 with 50 gr. Sierras and have always been satisfied with the guns overall performance. My Mini shows a marked preference for them over any 55gr. bullet.
I reload almost everything I shoot and do not buy cheap FMJs, so I don't know how they perform in a Mini.

I think my Mini is better looking than my M16 (no photo though) to me.
Walnut always looks better than plastic and (as you can see from the barrel discoloration) the Mini is much handier to carry by the barrel over one's shoulder than the M16.
Spins into action quick for blackjacks.
Using the M16 carry handle would quickly put sage branches in the barrel.
The gun stock has plenty of minor dings and scratches... it is my uncanny ability with a camera -I use the point and pray method - to make any used gun look good and new guns look bad.

In 1976 magazines larger than 5 rounds that were any good were hard to come by.
My cop friend had taken a job out of state, so there went my pipeline.
I ended up with some real crap and finally got a couple of 20 rds. to function O.K.
No 30s for me as their length gets in the way of a proper hold.
Plenty of available magazines today.

The Mini does not take AR mags - True.
Where is the complaint against Glock/Sig/H&K for not all having interchangeable magazines across the board?

Quote:
The name. Where on earth did it come from?

When talking cars, I can see why the Mini was called the Mini. But why this rifle?
Sounds like you haven't handled a Mini 14 Mr. Pond.
Once you pick it up, you'll know why it is called the Mini.
Svelte with relatively clean lines and light enough to pack around all day.

JT

Page generated in 0.03417 seconds with 8 queries