View Single Post
Old October 26, 2000, 08:11 PM   #1
LASur5r

Have any of you had any experiences with rock salt as a shotgun round?

In the old days (in Hawaii) some of the farmers loaded up the old shotguns with rock salt since not too many "real" attacks to people were occuring. They had the shotguns mostly for feral animals and people who stole crops from them.

One year, my friend and I decided just for the heck of it, to steal some fruit that this farmer were growing more just to see if we could get away with it and we were curious what this fruit was. It was a low hedge type shrub which he grew in rows and as we grabbed a few in the dark, we heard the hounds barking, then the screen door squeak open, and the farmer's challenge, "Who's out there? What are you doing."
As any red-blooded American kids would do, we started running for all we were worth.
I remembered clearly the cocking of that shotgun..double hammer sound. Just when the farmer fired, I tripped on a root and went face down spilling the fruit from my shirt. My poor friend shrieked and went down. I thought for sure he was dead.
As I got up in my next effort to run, my friend jumped up and outran me as he grabbed his fanny. When I finally got home...I caught a paddling from my dad and a lecture from my friend's dad because they had to call the family doctor to the house(day's of doctor's house calls.) to get the salt out of his wounds in the rear end.
Of course, by then the wound had closed around the salt and the salt burned as it dissolved.
Yoww. I don't think my friend could sit down for over two weeks.

I wouldn't recommend using rock salt in today's litigious society, but anyone else have experiences with rock salt?

Page generated in 0.02759 seconds with 8 queries