View Single Post
Old November 5, 2017, 09:22 PM   #1
rjinga

I Switched to Metal Ammo Cans and Re-labeled Them

I had most of my ammunition in metal containers already, but after further reading and YouTube viewing, I decided to go with all metal even for short-term static storage. I think I’ll use my three Plano plastic boxes for range trips, or some type of non-ammunition storage. And, given the weight, going forward I think I’m going to focus on metal .30 cal boxes for almost everything. So… if anyone has a good source for inexpensive containers, please let me know!

(Yes, that’s all I have right now, but everybody has to start somewhere.) Originally I’d tried to label the cans with my wife’s old hand-squeeze label maker. And when I say “old” I mean 25+ years old (including the label tape). Along with being too small to read from more than a foot away, the labels had a tendency to just fall off. So, I played around with the font and type size on my laptop, printed off a page, cut them to size and attached with shipping tape.

(Yes, I realize that the handles on the three .50 cal cans covers the bottom of the labels.) However, with the exception of these containers, as I said above, I’ll be moving to .30 cal cans whenever possible. Therefore, just seeing “7.62x51” on a .50 cal box will tell me exactly what’s in it. Each one of these cans contains the same thing: three 4-pouch bandoliers with 12 20-round G3 magazines in them (240 rounds each; 720 rounds total) for my PTR 91 rifle. These are for a grab-and-go WROL situation. The one .30 cal can is my current remaining boxed 7.62x51 ammunition. (Yes, I know I need to buy some more. My favorite online ammo seller is currently out of my favorite surplus ammo.)

The two .30 cal cans on the left each contain 400 rounds loaded on stripper clips for my SKS rifle. I’ll dip into these containers as needed for range trips (and then reload the stripper clips from the boxed ammo later). They could also be used in a grab-and-go WROL situation. The .50 cal can is about 4/5th full of boxed ammunition and it is heavy! So heavy that I don’t even want to lug it upstairs to weigh it on the bathroom scale. I’ll be moving the ammunition to .30 cal cans ASAP.

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm

Page generated in 0.03110 seconds with 8 queries