View Single Post
Old June 4, 2012, 01:38 PM   #8
BigJimP

Homeowners ( or renters ) insurance covers your guns...in your home, or in your vehicle, etc. - just like all of your other property - clothes, etc.

Auto policies will typically not give you any coverage for items stolen from your car...not clothes, guns, cameras, etc....

All policies vary by insurance company --and by State. So check yours out!

All decent policies will have replacement value on your personal property ...but to get the money, you'll have to replace the item stolen or you will probably get a depreciated value ( Actual Cash Value ). Check your policy ...loss settlement conditions / call your agent.

On almost all Homeowner's policies - there is a separate sub-limit for "Theft" of guns ( not for Fire, etc ) ...just "Theft". But when you leave guns in a vehicle, Theft is typically what your risk is. I've seen policies that have a sub-limit for Theft of Guns as low as $ 1,000 - some as high as $ 2,500 - and some may have another sub-limit of no more than $ X per gun within that limit. Many companies will let you increase that limit - for a small additional premium. If you have a theft loss - your homeowner's deductible will apply ( and deductibles are common from $ 500 - $ 2,500 )...so check and see what yours is.

You have another option ...you can "schedule" a specific gun ...by make, model, serial number and replacement value. This is typically done with no deductible...but its more expensive / and its specific to the gun scheduled. If you replace the gun - the coverage does not transfer --- you have to keep the schedule updated / and the value updated as replacement costs increase.

There are also special policies you can buy thru the NRA, NSSA, etc...essentially "scheduling your guns" .../ but typically your homeowner's insurance company is your least expensive option.
------------
What would I do ....I'd carry the Benelli as my backup ( and I typically do that on a hunt / where an O/U will be my primary - but I have a Benelli super sport as my backup ).

Page generated in 0.02661 seconds with 8 queries