View Single Post
Old May 1, 2002, 08:03 PM   #18
Double Naught Spy

Glad things worked out for the best, but they went south in a hurry it sounds like.

For those of you who haven't considered this, generally speaking there is little reason to get to close to the bad guy and you should probably avoid doing so if at all possible. The hero of this story was too close to the bad guy and he certainly did not need to be that close to make his point with a shotgun.

What is too close? Too close is any distance in which the bad guy can cover in order to reach you or your weapon before you have time to react properly. The 21 foot or Tueller distance came up for very similar reasons. A guy with a knife was shot by Tueller at 21 feet or thereabouts and the case came up as to whether or not Tueller was in danger. It was shown that a person with a knife can cover that amount of ground in about the same amount of time it would take an officer to draw and fire his weapon, about 1.5 seconds.

Having a big gun is great, but distance from the bad guy will provide an extra measure of security to at least give you more time to react.

As for the officer not taking the guns, he has no reason to take them as nobody was shot and the Hero was not charged with a crime.

Page generated in 0.03642 seconds with 8 queries