View Single Post
Old December 12, 2021, 02:29 AM   #1
Metal god

You learn something new every day :-(

Hello all , I'm not in this sub forum very often but figured this would be the best place for this thread .

I had always shot handguns Ok over the years but as I've gotten older it's been harder and harder to keep my front sight in focus . For the last several year I pretty much can't keep it in focus and the harder I try the blurrier it gets to the point of seeing double . It's really turned me off on shooting handguns in general but I do and again I'm Ok at it . I hit what I'm aiming at and we/I shoot out to 100yds at a 12x18 inch gong .

So today I'm out testing some new reloads ( 9mm ) and doing "ok" but by the time I get to the tenth round/shot in a string the front sight is pretty much just a blurry mess where I can't see if it's centered or not so frustrating .

So I take my prescription glasses off and .... .............................holy crap there's my front sight clear as day-ish SERIOUSLY ! I've been struggling with this issue for years and all I had to do is "take my $#%^&^ glasses of so I could see " Shot the rest of the day with the cheapest clear safety glasses you could buy and it was FANTASTIC . OMG seeing the sights like I could 20 years ago was amazing and was so much more fun to shoot since I could actually see my sights for the first time in literally years .

It's actually quite embarrassing to have never tried taking my glasses off but in hindsight DUH ! I mean yes my target is blurry but who cares it's supposed to be lol , what was I thinking .

Anyways thought I share my faceplant moment with you all Now to get some glasses that will work best so I also have a question for you all .

As I'm sure you all can tell I'm not to knowledgeable about glasses and not sure of the terminology . I asked my eye doctor once " what am I , near or far sided and he replied "you just can't see " haha . I need correction for both distance and up close so my glasses have two focal points or bi-focal but without the bifocal line in the middle of the glasses .

Now I'm wondering what type of shooting glasses should I get ? Should I get my basic par with the right side upper distance section without prescription and have the left lens with full prescription and the right lens clear on top and still have the lower Bifocal section with the correction in it ? Hope I said that in a way that it made sense .

I know why not just shoot with no prescription safety glasses ? I will for now to see how it goes but FWIW , although taking off my glasses made my front sight much more clear it was not sharp and crisp just 10 times better then it was with my glasses on . IDK maybe I take a prop to the dr or measure the distance from my eye to the genral point of where all my front sights would be . Then tell the doc I need my glasses to focus at that point approximately 3 feet in front of me ??

I'm sure I'm not the first guy to have this issue , what do you guys do ? How do you have your glasses set up or at what length/point in front of you do your glasses focus at ?

Thanks MG

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Page generated in 0.02863 seconds with 8 queries