View Single Post
Old June 11, 2008, 02:16 PM   #47
jrm

I have looked at both of the "Don't Talk" videos. I have also seen the ACLU videos (don't get me started on the racist messages in those) which have much the same message.

Interesting information and seemingly good advice. Although I will admit, as other poster have pointed out - that there are probably exceptions to the rule.

What gets me about the videos in the original posts as well as the ACLU videos is that they are more slanted to "how not to get caught" or "how to get away with something illegal."

Sure, we have a 5th amendment right to not incriminate ourselves. That's fine. You could also argue we have a moral and ethical obligation to NOT do the crime in the first place and to be punished for it if we do. It was mentioned in the video that the 5th has a bad rap because it is usually associated with criminals avoiding questions. Maybe that's because it is usually used by criminals, not innocent people.

I know that these videos bill themselves as made to protect innocent people from inadvertently saying something which can be used against them. That's fine and can be useful information to that end. These videos, however, are really a message to criminals on how to use rights and laws to avoid punishment.

Page generated in 0.03376 seconds with 8 queries