View Single Post
Old May 26, 2005, 06:57 PM   #3
beenthere

Handgun shot shells

Haven't done it for a while but here's how I've done it in the past. I don't recommend this method or loading for anyone else and with all reloading operations should be approached with caution. I only did it with 45ACP out of a 1917 S&W, but it worked for me.

Measured a medium load of Unique into a case. Seat a cardboard wad (cut with a sharpened case mouth) with a dowel gently to the powder (don't compress). Fill with shot (I always had #9 available but would like to try #11). Seat an inverted gas check at the case mouth and crimp lightly to retain the gas check.

This method doesn't provide much protection for the shell from moisture etc. but worked well for shells shot wiithin 6 months or so. That gas check does make one good sized hole in an object at short range. If it works for you it sure is a lot cheaper than shot capsules.
The weak, and those unwilling to make the struggle, soon resign their liberties for the protection of powerful men or paid armies; they begin by being protected, they end by being subjected. Louis L'Amour

Page generated in 0.03215 seconds with 8 queries