Thread: .17 on coyote
View Single Post
Old February 21, 2010, 10:27 AM   #9
Rangefinder

Quote:
Why don't you take this over to either of the two major predator hunting boards and see what they think?
Or just leave it where it is and those of us who hunt AND frequent this corner can keep explaining what we know.

The last yote I took with a .17hmr was at a solid 175 yards. With a clean head shot looking at me, the bullet entered as close to right between the eyes as you can get and took the back of the skull completely out. He wouldn't have dropped any harder if I'd have used my 6mm. Same story I keep saying over and over---if you know your limits, the limits of your rifle, and stay within them both, you would be surprised what works well. Would a .223 be a better choice? Sure it would. It would give you more range, more shot options, and drastically increase your window for a clean kill--in which case I would say use the .223 or similar--unless you are very patient, extremely picky about your shot, and are an extremely good shot. Because that's what it takes to make successful, clean kills with a 17HMR on yotes. All things considered, that shouldn't change with a higher caliber though. Bigger should not make it ok to become sloppy or take risky shots.

With some exception, what I see most in threads like this is a few posts with actual experience vs. a whole lot of speculation.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.

Page generated in 0.03629 seconds with 8 queries