View Single Post
Old February 27, 2012, 09:12 PM   #1
Madball6

.223 rem keep getting stuck in sizing die

Fairly new to reloading, just started reloading my first rifle caliber, .223 rem. Using a set of Lee Factory Crimp dies, I keep getting cases stuck in my resizing die.

This happened 3 times in my first 50 rounds. I'm getting good at unsticking them but im not sure why it keeps happening. I'm using my own once-fired brass and Hornady One-Shot lube. Only the first time it happened did i notice an increase in resistance as i drove the ram up into the die and i knew right away i didnt have enough lube (I had been pretty sparing with it, normally i just load pistol calibers with carbide dies). The other 2 times the stroke felt consistent all the way thru, but as i pulled the ram down, the shellholder strips the case rim and im left with another 10 minute case extraction job after which i need to reset my die again. Really slowing down my efforts to efficiently reload this caliber.

After the first time i stuck the case I began to lube the heck out of the brass, maybe im using too much? Also, some of the brass has slightly deformed necks, could it be my neck sizer getting stuck because of that? Wondering if i should only resize brass with no dings on the case mouth.

Again, im totally new to this caliber and rifle reloading in general.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

-madball

edit: The brass has all been tumbled in corn cob with polish are look VERY clean and shiny prior to lubing

Page generated in 0.02327 seconds with 8 queries