View Single Post
Old August 12, 2014, 08:57 AM   #100
wojtekimbier

I'm sorry for my english but I'm tired while writing this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourdegrees11
There's a lot that could skew the data in that study making it almost a useless comparison.
This is real data from real world based on many hundreds of real shootings. Statistics are not perfect in any way but are way more accurate for comparison than any calculation on paper.
Quote:
There's also nothing that shows the .40 as not being a good choice.
I've never said .40 is a bad choice. I said people claiming .40 is much more effective than 9mm because of "27% more kinetic energy"or "higher power factor" are wrong.
Quote:
So this study shows that .40 S&W has a "higher One-shot-stop %" and "% actually incapacitated by one shot (torso or head hit)" then both 9mm and 45 ACP...
This study shows that one shot of 9mm (mostly FMJ) is only 5 percentage points less effective than one shot of the "mighty" .40 S&W (comparing "incapacitated by one shot").
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Ellifritz
A huge number (over half) of 9mm shootings involved ball ammo. I think that skewed the results of the study in a negative manner.
That means if they used similar types of bullets, the difference between 9mm and .40 S&W would be even less than 5 percentage points.
What is also important is the "failure rate" near the end of the article I guess you didn't bother to read.
Both .40 S&W and 9mm failed to incapacitate bad guys in 13% of all shootings.
In other words, both 9mm and .40 S&W guns managed to incapacitate the threat 87% of the time.

I'm not saying 9mm is superior or .40 S&W is a bad choice. I'm not saying .40 S&W is superior or 9mm is a bad choice.
I'm saying that, despite what some people claim, neither is significantly better or more effective in real world. 9mm gives slightly more capacity. .40 gives slightly more power. Choose whatever you like, what you can find on the shelves, what you can afford and what you feel more confident with. In practice, they both work equally well.

Be safe

Page generated in 0.02435 seconds with 8 queries