Thread: saiga .308!?
View Single Post
Old February 19, 2012, 12:31 AM   #10
dvdcrr

crankgrinder there are also videos like this one:
http://vimeo.com/2787027

After I have all parts on hand to make the thing 922r legal, The first thing I do is field strip, take out the fcg and take off the factory furniture. I then tape up any areas I think are going to be near a file or vise and block off the bore with tape or a patch. Next I take a large flat file and grind off the rivet heads that hold on the sporter plate. I work from the outside. There is also a weld in the middle that I use a dremel and small grinding tip on. You basically take your dremel to that one and eat it out. Next I take a hammer and chisel and drive the chisel between the sporter plate and receiver in front and back at some point with enough struggle, the plate will be removed, along with the trigger guard. Since I always use a bolt on guard from Dinzag I don't save the old one but you might want to if you want to reuse it. After that I take some 400-600 grit paper and clean up the bare metal where the plate was. Sometimes there is a little rust there. Clean that up good and paint black. Then I mount the new trigger guard, and install the new US internals and pistol grip. Another step is if you are installing an Ace sidefolder you have to cut off the rear tang, file that off flush with the back of the receiver and paint that black or cold blue it. Then put your internal block, folding mechanism and finally Ace skeleton stock. The Ace stock gives you optional positions so you can raise it up for cheek weld with optics or lower it down. My typical parts include: Tapco SAW or K-Var US grip, Ace folding stock or Kvar US stock, SGM polymer handguard or factory handguard, Dinzag modified 2-stage Arsenal trigger group., and either a retaining plate for the trigger and hammer pins or clips. Don't throw away your old parts before you're done to ensure that you have all the pins and springs you might need. When you are done do a safety and function check to ensure the safety is blocking the FCG like it should.

Page generated in 0.02532 seconds with 8 queries