View Single Post
Old March 1, 2010, 12:42 AM   #1
Crit

Need some advice for a homemade sling on Rem 870

I've recently picked up a 26" 870 express. I've removed the magazine nubs, added a 3-shell mag extension, and have a cylinder choke on order for the sake of the shotgun's new HD role. The only other thing I'd like to do is incorporate a sling, as this is likely to be my only shotgun, and I've got buddies who want to go hunting and another that wants to go shoot clays. I have no idea how much I'll pick up and how much I'll do with it, so well-rounded is the goal.

I've been blessed with the fact that this is the first gun purchase that the Dear Wife has actually approved of, and she's happy to have it under the bed. She offered to make a sling (knit, actually) from 550 cord. It sounds dumb, but if it doesn't work out we won't use it, and if it does she'll be very proud of it and I'm happy to win points. What I don't know is how to put it all together.

I don't care for the two bent sheetmetal clamps and single screw that guys sometimes use for a front mount, but the GG&G front left-side mount looks pretty slick. I'll sandblast it at work and powdercoat satin black for the sake of getting rid of the logo! For the rear mount, I'm not sure if I can use the little lug that comes stock on the Express synthetic stock, or if I need to add a lug. If I keep the stock one, which I'd like to do, what hardware do folks use to attach to it? I'm likely looking at some combination of the following hardware:

Snap Hook

GG&G Front static attachment

GG&G Rear static mount (ordered as a left)

Sling Swivel (perhaps fits the original stock mount)

In the end, I can also just buy a conventional sling and take it apart for parts. What do you guys thing? I think I'm commited to the GG&G front mount, but everything else is up in the air.

Page generated in 0.02428 seconds with 8 queries