Thread: Soft Body Armor
View Single Post
Old January 5, 1999, 11:27 AM   #8
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

This might be too elementary for most of you, but if it helps only ONE of you, I'm happy.

In the Scty & LEO classes I teach, I tell them to ask the subject if he (she) has any guns, knives, other weapons, needles, anything sharp or "anything else I need to know about". Advise them it's much better to tell you right away than wait to let you find it. Many will tell you everything - some won't. Whatever they tell you puts you ahead of the game.
Then pat the subject down carefully - really carefully! With little practice you will be able to identify most threats before you put your hand inside the pocket, waistband, boot, sock, hatband, belt, hairdo, etc...
I throw the class open to discussion. This really increases their attention and most of them have a story to tell about knives, needles, box cutters, razor blades, sharpened screwdrivers, kubotans, various "keychain toys", etc.
I stress (and we discuss) how a little extra time spent (before you put your hand where you can't see it) can add a lot of extra time to your life!
BTW, if you get stuck with a needle (or whatever) the advice you probably will receive is to "make it bleed". Hmm, the heart pumps at least five liters of blood per minute - much more under stress/excitement. If you get stuck, the "infected" blood would circulate rather quickly (I would think). Therefore, I'm not very confident that "make it bleed" would be much help! (Doctors' comments??)
Prevention rather than treatment seems the way to go.
LEOs: Stay safe. You can't "serve and protect" my loved ones, or earn a living for YOUR loved ones, if you're sick or injured.
As they say, "My $0.02."
Sorry to deviate from the "body armor" subject, but disease can kill you just as dead as a bullet can.

[This message has been edited by Dennis (edited 01-05-99).]

Page generated in 0.02428 seconds with 8 queries