View Single Post
Old January 8, 2009, 12:27 AM   #1
Calif-Mini

Need info on target problem

OK-----I have had a problem that I just know someone out there has had before.

My issue is that I get a 100 yd. target that has the first shot where ever but the next 4 shots will be about 1 1/2 inches higher and slightly to the right.

I know that I am not very good at bench rest shooting but the problem has gone on for some time now and I am lost as to what can be the cure.

I have had a dozen targets from several trips to the range that replicate the similar pattern. One low and several higher and slightly right. I have tried 14 different bullets with a combination 4 different powders. I have used a tri-pod, sand bags and a "Lead Sled" w/ 75 lbs of weight with my little 223. All have produced a similar "pattern"????????????

A little info is the rifle is a Mini-14 but now has a Krieger barrel and is function free of any problems. If the pattern was scattered, I would say the crown or something else was the cause but I get that first shot, then on several other targets the next 4 are touching or close to it. Now don't get me wrong, I have had several groups in the 3/4 to 1 inch range but have the "pattern" problem too. Really looking for some nickel size targets here.

The only thing that comes to mind is that I installed a 10-40 x 50mm scope, not an expensive one but new. My next trip to the range will be back to my old Leupold VX-II 6-18 AO to see if the new scope was the problem. Even though California has nice weather, I really am a fair weather shooter so am waiting for things to warm up a little.

If anyone has had similar target feedback and has had success in curing it, please let me know what you found to be the problem and what was the cure if any or what was tried and the results.

Thanks to all who read and any who respond with ideas.

Ed Roberts

Page generated in 0.02170 seconds with 8 queries