View Single Post
Old April 9, 2008, 12:38 PM   #37
The Tourist

I disagree.

To me it's not the environment or the situation. It's the guy hearing the command.

After all of these years, I've had my belly fully of loudmouths, employers who haven't got a clue, drunks, Barney Fife's and idiots who act up public social functions. To me, the guttural tone is the mark of a man out of control.

It is the mark of a man who dearly needs to get his azz kicked.

Again, a domestic policeman is a "peace officer." A man who is so poorly trained and observant that he endangers the staff at his side is simply no man with whom I want to work.

A mouthy Fife who wades into a crowd of drunks, rioters or angry bikers because he is a Judge Dredd needs to be winnowed from the staff of professionals.

Put yourself in the mix. Imagine if it was your job to contain a large group of partying Mongols or Pagans with small town staff and a limited budget. The state police are fifteen minutes away and your area is too small for a Med-Flight style abulance service. It's just you and your partner, sent with the assignment to contain 75 bikers whose collective rapsheets exceed all of the arrests of the citizens in your jurisdiction.

Your partner decides to use a command voice. "Alright you thugs, I want a quiet, straight orderly line to form up right now, and everyone is going to stand still, shut up, and turn their pockets inside out. If I find anything, you are under arrest as of this second..."

At that moment, one of the bikers grins and says, "...I get the fat one..."

Well, truth is, I've heard worse. And remember, you are the one standing next to him.

Professionalism, professionalism, professionalism. I've also seen a cop wander into a bigger group and get smiles and compliance.

Page generated in 0.03131 seconds with 8 queries