View Single Post
Old May 5, 2002, 01:09 AM   #5
Powderman

Guys, I hate to be a spoil sport, but I gotta tell you----

Glock warns specifically against using lead bullets in their factory barrels for a reason.

The lead bullet has a much lower coefficient of friction than jacketed bullets do. Meaning this--two things happen when you fire a hard cast bullet at normal pistol velocities.

One, the bullet will not swage out, or obturate within the bore. You then have high temperature gas--superheated gas--that will leak and cut between the bearing surface of the bore and the bearing surface of the bullet. This will soften the lead, and turn some of the lead into a plasma that WILL adhere like crazy to the bore.

Second, the Glock polygonal rifling is smooth. It leaves the finished bore with a glass-smooth finish. VERY smooth. So smooth, in fact, that when you fire a lead bullet, at first the rifling WILL NOT ACCEPT THE BULLET. IT WILL INSTEAD SKID ACROSS THE LANDS.
This, combined with the heating caused by the flame cutting WILL leave lead in your bore.

This is not a big problem with a low pressure cartridge like the .45 ACP--in a NORMAL barrel. When you talk about 9mm, .40 SW and 10mm, you are asking for fireworks.

So, spend a little extra money--or maybe even a little less--and get some jacketed bullets.

www.gibrass.com

has milsurp 9mm and 230 grain ball.

www.montanagoldbullets.com

had good quality, cheap .40 bullets of different weights.

Again, I STRONGLY urge you--DON'T FIRE LEAD IN THAT GLOCK BARREL!!!

For good aftermarket barrels, check out:

www.brownells.com

They even have Bar-Sto barrels for the Glock!!

Please---DO NOT FIRE LEAD BULLETS IN A GLOCK BARREL IN ANY CALIBER!!!

Yours,

Powderman (who also happens to be a certified Glock armorer.)

Page generated in 0.03589 seconds with 8 queries