View Single Post
Old August 11, 2013, 07:24 AM   #8
dahermit

Quote:
I've been finishing my day at the range of shooting lead with jacketed bullets to clear the bore for years. Actually, I'll do it cycles - say, 30 lead rounds, followed by a cylinder of jacketed, that sort of thing.

I'm not an authority or an engineer. But this has been normal practice for me for decades. I have guns that same age, and they have nice, shiny bores. It's just how I've always done it.
I did that for years also. It was interesting in the old days when this practice would be kicked around like a foot ball in the gun rags. I remember one respected writer stating that it was, "...absolutly not possible to shoot lead from a barrel with a jacketed bullet. I do not know how that rumor got started..." After reading that, I thought perhaps I should figure out a way of putting all that lead that I had shot out of the barrel with jacketed, back in. Yes, it works. Is it the smartest thing to do? ...well perhaps not. In later years, the techniques of larger bullet diameters and dealing with undersized revolver chambers were refined, making leading less of an issue.

Page generated in 0.06323 seconds with 8 queries