View Single Post
Old May 9, 2012, 10:53 AM   #3
bossman

Well, a few things to ponder on. Which will you be shooting the most 38 spl 44 spl or 44 mag. Lean toward the one that performs best for the caliber you will be shooting the most. Are you going to be shooting lead or jacketed, lead is great for light target loads.

The 38 spl 158 gr 358 dia Lswc is perfect for target loads. A lot of 44's are 240 gr, you may check and see if you could find a 200 gr or 220 gr bullet to get a little closer to the 38 158 gr. on bullet weight.

I think you should go with a mid range type of powder, the slower powders are for real thumpers and are used to get higher velocitys for people who want max numbers out of the big bores. Whatever you decide to go with make sure you can find load data for the bullet and powder. For bullets 429 dia jacketed .430 dia lead. For the 38 .357 dia jacketed .358 for lead.

On trying to find just one powder it important to decide if you want light to mid range target loads or high velocity hard hitting loads.Higher velocity doesn't always mean better accuracy. Light plinking loads are much easier on the shooter when going out to shoot a lot of reloads. I would think just looking at a burn rate chart N 320 will be better for the 38 and N 340 for the 44 but both should work. Good luck and hang in there it will soon start to make sense.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.

Last edited by bossman; May 9, 2012 at 11:08 AM.

Page generated in 0.02160 seconds with 8 queries