Thread: This bugs me
View Single Post
Old February 10, 2006, 03:01 AM   #1
Rob P.

This bugs me

In most of the hypotheticals that get tossed around one factor that goes unmentioned is the training aspect.

If I run through various "situations" in practice, then I'm preparing myself to deal with those situations or variations should they occur in reality. Part of this planning is to educate other members of the household so that they are also on the uptake and can deal with emergencies if/when they happen.

But, most of the time it seems as if I'm the only one in my household who practices situational awareness. There have been times when I've asked my spouse: "Did you see that?" and the response was "HUH? See what?" Yet she is supposed to scan and observe her surroundings and she KNOWS this. There have been times when things suddenly and unexpectedly went "bump" and the nearby people all stopped and stared while I moved. Including my spouse who is supposed to know better. They didn't act because they hadn't envisioned needing to act or react.

And even here I see people trying to create situations where they are asking "what do I do" in a training mode and evaluating their potential response by the responses of others on this forum. And again, I see people who are SUPPOSED TO BE situationally aware who yawn and make derogatory comments about fantasies and overlyzealous hero types.

This really bugs me because we're supposed to be prepared and I see so many of us who aren't. Worse I feel that many of us are UNprepared to act in an emergency because of complacency and laziness.

To me it's incomprehensible that anyone could be that way. And that's why it bugs me when I see it happen.

Page generated in 0.02476 seconds with 8 queries