View Single Post
Old June 3, 2014, 10:25 AM   #15
doofus47

One time, my buddy and I were sitting in a summer college town apartment, drinking beer (legally) and catching up when the phone rang.
Remember land lines..?
I said hello; they said it was the local PD and that I needed to open up for some officers at the front door.
Having never had anything like this happen before, I assumed it was a prank and I was going to get pelted with water balloons by other friends when I opened. So I asked the officer his name and rank. He said, officer X, sergeant." I said "what's your badge number, officer x?" He told me immediately, (who memorizes that info?) so I figured it might possibly be legit, if weird. The officer didn't mind my asking him questions to identify him.
So, I looked through the peep, then opened the door, and no one was there. I told officer X his officers were at the wrong house and hung up.
So I sat back down and started drinking and chatting, and a few minutes later, a bunch of police officers started tromping through the back yard. Then there was a knock on the door. This time there was a troop on the stoop. I opened up and they said that there had been a 911 call with screaming in the background from my address. I told him that we were the only ones here. They searched the house briefly, then left.
Could I have made them get a warrant, blah blah blah? Maybe, but the greater good was that they scratch this location off their list and get to solving some DV issue.
Later, after a career in telecom, I found out that there were many ways that 911/address correlations could be mixed up. Nowadays, they could be messed up for completely different reasons.

Page generated in 0.03291 seconds with 8 queries