View Single Post
Old September 6, 2013, 11:54 PM   #16
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juancts
For example, the other day my local gun shop salesman tried to sell me an "American Classic" 1911. According to him it was an awesome 1911. When I did the research, every forum and review said they were having many serious problems. The same guy also tried to sell me a Ruger, but now I don't trust him.
The American Classic is made by Metro Arms in the Philippines. I knew the guy who reviewed a Metro Arms pistol for M1911.ORG. He was (he has since passed away) a true-blue Colt man, and he was impressed by the Metro Arms pistol. Where did you find all these references to "serious" problems? I'm a 1911 guy and I lurk on 1911-oriented forums. I haven't seen ANY reports of serious problems with them.

Here's what my late friend had to say about the Metro Arms pistol he tested (they were called "Firestorm" at the time, not "American Classic." Same guns.):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark
The Firestorm Government DLX Model of the 1911 is the best Philippine-manufactured pistol I've ever fired! Through well over 700 rounds of various types of ammunition, several different magazines, and a variety of shooting tests, the DLX has never failed to function reliably and accurately. The gun looked as nice at the end of the tests as it did in the beginning, which speaks volumes about the quality control that takes place at MetroArms before the pistols are exported to this country.

For a pistol which falls into the budget category, the Firestorm DLX showed no unsightly tool marks or machine "chatter" on any internal surfaces.

While there are certain features of the weapon I don't care for (front cocking serrations, as an example), these items fall into the category of personal preference, and should not detract from the overall view of the gun. I am not usually a proponent of extended controls on government model pistols, but the lengthened slide stop and thumb safety levers worked very well on this gun.

The pistol comes from the distributor in a cardboard box, with owners' manual, a fired cartridge casing, and a trigger lock.

As previously stated, this pistol represents a great product at an even greater price. I highly recommend it, and consider this gun to represent a "Best Buy" for anyone considering the purchase of an economically priced 1911.
As for Ruger -- when Ruger decided to jump into the 1911 pond, they did their homework. Their 1911s are excellent pistols, and a very good buy for the price.

One consideration that applies today that wasn't so much a concern a couple of years ago: availability. You have a valid point about shops trying to sell what they have in stock, but these days what they have in stck may be the only game in town (unless you want to buy sight unseen from a place like Bud's Guns on-line). A couple of years ago my local gun shop could and would order any gun a customer wanted, and he didn't charge a huge mark-up for special orders. Today? He can call a distributor, and they tell him to put his name on the list, and not to hold his breath waiting for a call. It isn't just ammo that's in short supply. The biggest gun shop in my state is filling his shelves with scopes and used guns because he can't get new guns. The smaller shops are at the bottom of the food chain in this market. The distributors (unfortunately, but understandably) cater first to their larger customers. That leaves the small shops out in the cold.

In this market, my advice is: if you see a gun you like, buy it now, because it may not be there when you come back tomorrow or next week.

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; September 7, 2013 at 12:12 AM.

Page generated in 0.03776 seconds with 8 queries